Dr. Bosse has worked with vulnerable and marginalized populations for 20 years through community outreach, psychiatric nursing, nurse education, and research, and has seen the barriers to access and quality of care firsthand.
Dr. Bosse has provided education to service providers, health professionals, police officers, and students in social work, counselling, medicine, nursing, pharmacy, and recreational, physical and occupational therapy on the needs of populations such as people who use injection drugs, LGBT populations, and people who have experienced homelessness, incarceration, or have engaged in survival sex.
He has been a partner in advocating for the needs of vulnerable populations in 1:1 conversation, on local boards and coalitions, and statewide committees.
Education & Training
- University of Massachusetts, Amherst; PhD, Nursing
- St. Joseph’s College of Maine; MS, Nursing Education
- University of Southern Maine; BS, Nursing
- American Academy of Nursing Jonas Policy Fellowship
- Fenway Summer Institute in LGBT Population Health
- Jackman, K., Bosse, J. D., Eliason, M., Hughes, T. (2019) Sexual and Gender Minority Health in Nursing Research. Nursing Outlook, 67(1): 21-38. DOI: 10.1016/j.outlook.2018.10.006
- Martin, S., Chiodo, L., Bosse, J.D., Wilson, A. (2018) The Next Stage of Buprenorphine Care for Opioid Use Disorder: A Narrative Review. Annals of Internal Medicine. 10.7326/M18-1652
- Vanhook, P., Bosse, J. D., Flinter, M., Poghosyan, L., Dunphy, L., & Barksdale D. (2018) Policy Brief: Emerging Role of Baccalaureate Registered Nurses in Primary Care. Nursing Outlook, 66(5): 52-17. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2018.09.003
- Martin, S., Bosse, J.D., Wilson, A., & Chiodo, L. (2018). Under one roof: Identification, evaluation, and treatment of chronic Hepatitis C in addiction care. Addiction Science & Clinical Practice, 13:10.
- Bosse, J. D., Leblanc, R. G., Jackman, K., Bjarnottir, R. I. (2018). Benefits of Implementing and Improving Collection of Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Data in Electronic Health Records. Computers, Informatics, and Nursing, 36(6): 267-274. DOI: 10.1097/CIN.0000000000000417
- Bosse, J. D., Simmonds, K., Hanson, C., Pulcini, J., Dunphy, L., Vanhook, P., Poghosyan, L. (2017). American Academy of Nursing Position Statement: Full Practice Authority for Advanced Practice Registered Nurses is Necessary to Transform Primary Care. Nursing Outlook, 65(6): 761-765. DOI: 10.1016/j.outlook.2017.10.002
- Bosse, J. D. & Chiodo, L. (2016). It’s Complicated: Gender and Sexual Orientation Identity in LGBTQ youth. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 25: 3665–3675. DOI: 10.1111/jocn.13419
- Bosse, J. D., Nesteby, A., & Randall, C. (2015). Incorporating Sexual Minority Health into the Health Assessment Class. Journal of Professional Nursing, 31(6): 498-507. DOI: 10.1016/j.profnurs.2017.02.001
- Bosse, J. D. (2013, Winter). Care for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and/or Transgender Patient. ANA Maine, p. 5.
- Bosse, J. D. (2012, Spring). Creating and Delivering Presentations: 10 Steps to Effective Training Programs. ANA Maine, p.7.